Passport Validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 30 days from the date of exit from South Africa. Your passport should have at least 2 blank pages when you present it at immigration to enter or leave South Africa.


If you’re visiting South Africa for tourism or business purposes for a period of up to 90 days, you don’t need a visa.
For more information on visas contact the South African High Commission or the South African Department of Home Affairs.
The South African government doesn’t accept British passports that have been extended by 12 months by British Embassies and Consulates under exceptional measures put in place in mid-2014. You won’t be able to enter or exit South Africa on an expired British passport with an extension stamp.

Traveling with Children (under 18)

The new immigration rules introduced by South Africa in June 2015 relating to traveling with children remain in force. Parents traveling with children (under 18) will be asked to show the child’s full unabridged birth certificate. The full unabridged birth certificate should list the child’s details and both parents’ details. The abridged (short) birth certificate which only lists the child’s particulars won’t be accepted. The South African Department of Home Affairs are not accepting uncertified copies of birth certificates or copies of the parents/guardians identification.
The South African Department of Home Affairs have confirmed that no supporting documents will be required by people in direct transit through a South African International Airport. Check with your airline to see whether you need to go through immigration on arrival in South Africa, collect luggage and check in again. If you do go through immigration you’ll need to provide the correct documentation.
There are additional requirements if the child is traveling with only one parent, with neither biological parent, or unaccompanied. See this information sheet, this statement by the South African Department of Home Affairs and this leaflet produced by the South African Department of Home Affairs. School groups should use this consent form in addition to the documents referred to above. This special dispensation applies to all schools registered with the Department of Basic Education and its equivalent abroad.
Contact your nearest South African High Commission if you have any specific questions about your trip.
You can get a full unabridged birth certificate from the General Register Office if your child was born in the UK, or the South African Department of Home Affairs website if your child was born in South Africa.
If you’re traveling with copies of documents, make sure you get them certified. The South African Department of Home Affairs won’t accept photocopies of birth certificates or passports.


01674 840 808

07484 064 445


Share This